A mega bot designed for one-on-one using WaveSurfing and VirtualGuns. I read about WaveSurfing when i tried to figure out how to improve the movement of Hyperion. After I finally started to implement it and realised how much work there is behind that, I decided to leave Hyperion as it is and make a new bot instead. Apart from the movement this bot is identical to Hyperion (for now).
- What's special about it?
Ascendant held the top spot in RoboRumble General 1v1 for 17 months, from November 2004 to April 2006. It pioneered the use of an AntiSurfer gun for hitting adaptive movements, a practice common among top bots today. Despite several years since its last, Ascendant still holds the #5 spot in the RoboRumble.
- How does it fire?
- It uses two guess factor guns, one is tuned to hit wave surfers (and adaptive movements in general) and the other should hit everyone else. While the bot tries to determine, which gun is better in hitting the current opponent, both guns are used as virtual guns (slightly biased towards the general purpose gun). After a decision has been reached, the better gun is used exclusively.
- How does the melee strategy differ from one-on-one strategy?
- Its an one-on-one bot. Never tested melee, so its probably throwing exceptions at that.
- What does it save between rounds and matches?
- It saves nothing between battles. Between rounds targeting and movement information is stored.
- Where did you get the name?
- While imagining it's rise to the top of RoboRumble of course :-)
- Can I use your code?
- Not at the moment. I'll think about publishing it when i'm satisfied with the bot and it's code structure.
- What's next for your robot?
- - beat Shadow
- What other robot(s) is it based on?
- It is based on Hyperion. I read a lot about WaveSurfing in this wiki, and took the general idea from it.